Faerystruck Down

In the rolling fog of the purple sea
Where slugs infest the ridge
And breeze-bent heather
Tethers ghosts of the drowned

Beyond the threshold of the mind
Where sea hags howl at the moon
And shapes unseen
Sneak away human babes

Lies the maritime trail I was warned not walk
Urged by patrons of the old pub
To return to America, and be gone at next breath:
“For too tempting is the tourist from afar!”

But I split my sides at their heathen pleas
Doused their cares with whiskey and ale
Till after a spell, I was cheered out of town
Pushed along streets of leaping whispers

So onward to accursed shores I went
Bold with humor and the prod of drink
Where fish-lipped merrows in cohuleen druiths
Leered from frothy kelp isles

And the mutterings in belch-bogs grew ever near . . .
And the perverted, creeping shadows . . .

I will never forget their dream-drenched faces
As they sang and danced and picked over my end
Goblets high in the salty spray of the purple sea
Where many a mortal bone now rests in the deep

And in my last moments of earthly acquaintance,
Head a pivot and lit with fires green,
They branded my soul to the tongue of lore
Forever to break out madly from seaside lips

Comments